HTML Text Links« « HTML Images| HTML Image Links » »
HTML Text Links are formally know as hyperlinks or link. Link allows visitors to navigate the website from one page to another page.
A link is created using <a href=”"> tag known as anchor tag and value of href attribute is the URL or PATH where the link is pointing to.
Hypertext references ( href )
This attribute specifies the target url for the linked element. A target can be absolute, relative or root relative URLs.
- Absolute URLs – It refers the full path for the target location. Example – http://www.w3school.in
- Relative URLs- It refers the target location’s path relative to current location. Example – if we are at http://www.w3school.in/ and want to navigate to http://www.w3school.in/php then we just specify it by “/php”.
- Root Relative URLs- It refers path relative to the domain’s root.
Link Target (target)
It specifies where to open the selected link.
- _blank – It opens new page in new window to display the target location.
- _self – It opens new page in the current window to display the target location.
- _parent – It opens new page into a parent frame.
- _top – It opens new page into the current browser window, cancelling all frames.
It is not always required you to complete URL for every link but we can specify a default URL for all links on the page.This can be achieved by putting base tag in the HTML document’s <head> section.